Historic ornate Bellville Bandstand decorates the center of the Village of Bellville after 134 years. According to an article published in the Richland Star, September 11, 1879, Mr. Knodle had just moved to Bellville in January from Illinois, to be the new Bellville Band Director. Mr. Knodle, was the first to suggest a bandstand.
By June many people were in favor of the Bandstand,and on July 23, 1879,the Town Council gave permission for the bandstand to be built on the Village Square. Local merchants contributed materials and funds. Local craftsman named Moody, Fisher, Zent and a score of others went to work under the management of architect David Lash. He was influenced in his design by the “gazebo’s” in the back yards of the wealthy industrialist living on Millionaire’s Row which is Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio. It was said that his “Italianate” composite, that is with us today, was unequaled in detail and craftsmanship.
In September of 1879, over 2000 people gathered to dedicate this Bandstand, that continues to be the symbol of this beautiful Village. Since that fall day in 1879, the people of this community have gathered at this ornate structure to celebrate our Liberty, to listen to concerts, to recognize the Bellville Fair winners, and to welcome home our veterans who preserved our liberties. Hundreds of weddings have taken place within this structure.
The Bellville Bandstand has been refurbished many times during its long history most recently in 2009 when the villagers of Bellville and citizens of Jefferson Township, visitors and surrounding communities raised $49,000 to restore the Village icon..